In this article you’ll learn about scholarships for different types of skilled trade and technical programs including STEM, construction, HVAC technology, welding, mechanics, cosmetology and beauty, culinary arts, and others.
Skilled Trade & Construction Scholarships
- AmericanTrucks Student Scholarships - Two scholarships for $2,000 each are awarded twice a year (4 total) to students currently enrolled full-time in a secondary vocational school or technical institute learning a trade such as HVAC, carpentry, or electrical, and similar fields.
- ABPA Harrington-Arthur Memorial $1,500 Scholarship - Is an essay competition “to reward students who seek to increase their knowledge and understanding of how cross-connection control and backflow prevention help ensure safe drinking water.”
- Association of Women Contractors Scholarship - The AWC, located in Minnesota, offers financial help in the form of scholarships to female students and apprentices who are pursuing careers in the construction industry.
- BLSJ Scholarships - Builders League of South Jersey offers scholarships to students from southern New Jersey. You must be entering an accredited, post-secondary school and pursuing a course of study related to real estate or construction.
- Cameron Impact Scholarship - Is a four-year, merit-based scholarship intended to cover the full tuition and “qualified educational expenses” for students who “demonstrate a desire to make an impact on their communities and in the world at large.” Fields of study may include but are not limited to finance, education, healthcare, technology, military, legal, sports, engineering, and art.
- CREW Chicago Scholarship - These awards, not to exceed $3,000, are for graduate and junior or senior undergraduate students majoring or concentrating in real estate, construction, facility management, architecture, urban planning, and related fields.
- DEED Scholarships - From The American Public Power Association, for students accepted or enrolled in a full-time technical/trade school, accredited college, or university. Scholarships for $2,000, $4,000, and $5,000 are available.
- Davis Memorial Scholarship - $5,000 per student scholarship giving priority to students who want to attend a trade school, or earn a college or university degree relating to the construction industry. These awards are based on both academic and personal achievements.
- Home Builders Care Scholarships - For students attending certain schools in Minnesota and North Dakota. These scholarships are awarded to students in construction-related fields who are members of a construction industry-related student chapter.
- Horch Roofing Trade School Scholarship - Horch Roofing offers two individual $1,000 scholarships to graduating high school seniors who will attend a college/trade school or to a current college/trade school student who resides in the state of Maine.
- IFMA Foundation Scholarship - These scholarships range in value from $1,500 to $10,000 and are awarded to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in facility management or FM related programs.
- Jeannette Rankin Women's Scholarship Fund - JRF provides scholarships and support for low-income women ages 35 and older pursuing a technical, vocational, associate, or bachelor’s degree.
- Mike Rowe WORKS Foundation Scholarships - “It’s about the people who share our values and understand the importance of work ethic, personal responsibility, delayed gratification, and a positive attitude.”
- NAWIC Founders’ Scholarship Foundation - Each year NAWIC awards over $25,000 to “worthy recipients” in construction-related programs. Scholarship award amounts range from $500 to $2,500. You must be currently enrolled in a construction-related degree program at a school in the U.S. High school seniors are not eligible for this particular scholarship.
- Skylands Energy Scholarship - For New Jersey resident students pursuing a career related to environmental science, HVAC, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or construction management. Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited four-year undergraduate program at a university or college located in the United States or a two-year technical trade school.
- Tennessee Valley Interstellar Workshop Scholarships - TVIW scholarships were created to encourage students to study science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields that support the “research needed to get humanity to the stars.”
- Two Ten Higher Education Scholarships - Awards up to $4,000 annually to students attending or planning to attend an accredited two or four year college, university, nursing, or vocational technical school for full or part-time study.
- Nellie Martin Carman Scholarship Fund - Available to graduating seniors from public high schools in King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties in Washington state. Awards range from $500 to $2,000 a year, and scholarships are renewable for four years.
Automotive Technology Scholarships
- The Andrew Piech Memorial Scholarship - One or two awards up to $2,200 will be given annually. Created to provide assistance to New Mexico students in the field of automotive technology (and related applied technologies).
- AmericanMuscle Automotive Scholarship - Four scholarships for $2,000 each will be awarded to students pursuing an automotive-themed major.
- APSA of Illinois Scholarship - The APSA of Illinois Scholarship Program awards up to six $500 scholarships each academic year. Students can reapply each year for up to 4 years.
- Automotive Women's Alliance Foundation Scholarship - “Scholarships are awarded to female, North American citizens, with a passion for a career or advancement in the automotive and its related industries.”
- ASHRAE Scholarships - Scholarships up to $10,000 each for students and prospective students who are pursuing an engineering or technology career in the HVAC/R field.
- PTAC Crew Scholarship for HVAC Students - Provides a $1,500 scholarship to a student studying the HVAC trade at an accredited vocational or technical school.
- Rees Scholarship Foundation - The Rees Scholarship Foundation offers multiple scholarship programs to support the HVACR industry. For qualified students who are enrolled in an institutionally accredited school.
- AWS Foundation Scholarships - American Welding Society scholarships are available for students attending trade schools, community colleges, and four-year universities for welding and welding-related fields. These include national scholarships, district scholarships, and scholarships for welding educators.
- Miller® WorldSkills USA Scholarship - Up to $10,000 per year for a period of four consecutive years. This scholarship is awarded to the winner of the AWS WorldSkills USA Competition.
- Women in Skilled Trades Scholarship Program - Offered by Tulsa Welding School, is a need-based scholarship program that is designed to provide financial assistance to eligible female students enrolled at Tulsa Welding School.
- Sport Clips Scholarship - Sport Clips Haircuts awards up to 20 scholarships each year. Each recipient receives a $1,000 scholarship to help with cosmetology education expenses.
- Aurie J. Gosnell Scholarship - $1,250 Aurie J. Gosnell Scholarship, for study and training in the cosmetology field.
- Joe Francis Haircare Scholarship Foundation - Awards $1,200 per student, paid directly to the cosmetology school of student's choice.
Culinary & Hospitality Scholarships
- American Academy of Chefs Scholarship - These $1,500 to $2,500 scholarships include those for apprenticeship culinary programs, certificate programs, and post-secondary culinary degree programs.
- C-CAP Scholarships - Careers through Culinary Arts Program is the largest independent culinary/hospitality scholarship program in the country.
- AACT John Kitt Memorial Scholarship - $5,000 scholarship for students who have demonstrated interest in confectionery technology.
- The American Express Scholarship - Award of between $500 and $2,000 dollars for full and part-time students in an undergraduate program leading to a degree in hospitality management.
- VRG Scholarship - One award of $10,000 and two awards of $5,000 available to students who have promoted vegetarianism in their schools and/or communities. “Applicants will be judged on having shown compassion, courage, and a strong commitment to promoting a peaceful world through a vegetarian diet/lifestyle.”
- NGA Foundation Scholarships - For students planning careers with independent grocers.
This list of scholarships does not include every single one available to students who are entering the skilled trades and technical fields. Discuss this with your school’s admissions or financial aid department because they may be familiar with others. Bookmark this page and check the list every so often because we’ll be adding to it.