According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, hundreds of careers, many of them in the skilled trades, are expected to grow faster than average through 2029. These occupations are in many different fields like electrical, medical, and service. Here are some fastest growing careers in the skilled trades:
Fast Growing Skilled Trades (Growth Statistics by 2030)
- Photovoltaic Installer--52% predicted growth
- PV installers install solar panels and connect them to home electrical systems.
- Wind Turbine Techs--68% predicted growth
- Wind turbine technicians install and service wind turbines that generate electricity.
- Electricians--9% predicted growth
- Electricians install, maintain, and repair electrical, lighting, communications, and control systems.
- Steelworkers--6% predicted growth
- Raise, place, and unite iron or steel girders, columns, and other structural members to form completed structures or structural frameworks.
- Millwrights--19% predicted growth
- Millwrights install large machinery and heavy equipment in factories and other settings in accordance with layout plans, blueprints, or other drawings.
Fast Growing Medical Careers (Growth Statistics by 2030)
- Dental Assistants--11% predicted growth
- Dental Assistants work with dentists to provide patients care, take x-rays, schedule appointments, and keep records.
- Medical Assistant--18% predicted growth
- Medical Assistants perform medical and administrative work in hospitals, doctor’s offices, and other settings.
- Medical Coder--9% predicted growth
- Examine documents written by doctors and apply the appropriate medical codes for the medical biller to submit to insurance companies.
- Medical Biller--9% predicted growth
- Gather patient details and input into billing software to submit to insurance companies.
- Occupational Therapy Assistants--34% predicted growth
- Assist occupational therapists provide occupational therapy treatments. OTAs may assist in development of treatment plans, carry out routine functions, direct activity programs, and document the progress of treatments.
- Home Health Aides--33% predicted growth
- Home health and personal care aides help people with disabilities or chronic illnesses with daily living activities and monitor their condition.
- Phlebotomist--22% predicted growth
- Phlebotomists draw blood for tests, transfusions, research, and blood donations.
Fast Growing Service Careers (Growth Statistics by 2030)
- Manicurist/Pedicurist--33% predicted growth
- Shape nails, clean, and beautify clients’ hands and feet
- Skin Care Specialist--29% predicted growth
- Beautify and enhance clients’ skin
- Massage Therapists--32% predicted growth
- Treat clients by touch to manipulate soft tissues and muscles in the body
- Line Cook--26% predicted growth
- Line cooks prepare and cook food in various settings such as kitchens and restaurants
- Head Cooks and Chefs--25% predicted growth
- Head cooks oversee daily food preparation in restaurants, kitchens, and other places where food is served
Fast Growing CDL Careers (Growth Statistics by 2030)
- School bus driver--25% predicted growth
- Safely transport students to and from school and on other school trips. May assist passengers exit the bus.
- City bus driver--25% predicted growth
- Drive bus or motor coach, including regular route operations, charters, and private carriage. May assist passengers with baggage. May collect fares or tickets.
- Taxi driver/chauffeur--25% predicted growth
- Drive a motor vehicle to transport passengers. May collect a fare.
- Light truck driver--6% predicted growth
- Light truck drivers drive light vehicles, such as a truck or van, to pick up merchandise or packages from a distribution center and deliver them. May load and unload vehicles.
Find CDL training near you.
Find out more about these careers and how you can start your career in the skilled trades, by reading our careers guide.