Connect now with local schools
San Joaquin Valley College
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and RefrigerationBuilding Systems, Construction, and Manufacturing
SJVC's Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration (HVAC or HVAC-R) program prepares students to work in the heating and cooling industry. Curriculum focuses on theories of heating, refrigeration and air conditioning. Students study the operation, maintenance and repair of residential and commercial equipment.
- Heating and cooling principles
- Electrical theories
- Diagnosing mechanical and electrical problems
- Proper installation, servicing and replacement techniques
- Credential and Professional Certification
Graduates can earn a Certificate of Completion in as few as 10 months, or an Associate of Science Degree in as few 14 months.
Graduates also have the opportunity to earn the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 608 certification. Fees associated with this examination are included in tuition for first-time test takers. Payment for retakes or subsequent exams are the responsibility of the graduate. Failure to sit for the exam does not constitute a refund or discount in tuition.
Electrical TechnologyBuilding Systems, Construction, and Manufacturing
SJVC’s Electrical Technology (ET) program is approved by the California Department of Industrial Relations. View approval (Link: https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ECU/ListOfApprovedSchools.html). This program meets the standards set forth by the California Department of Industrial Relations towards the current California Electrician Certification Program. Once a student has completed the program, he or she is prepared to sit for the California General Electrician’s Certification Exam. Graduates from this program will need to work additional hours in the field before receiving an electrician certification per the DIR (Link:https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ecu/EleCat.html#1).
Upon completion of the Electrical Technology program, graduates will have the equivalent of a four -year experienced electrician in technical understanding, troubleshooting, electrical terminology, and math as it relates to electrical, which helps prepare students for the Journeyman’s test.
- Electrical conduit bending
- Electric circuitry and residential, commercial, and industrial wiring
- Electrical blueprint reading
- OSHA Standards for the construction industry
- PLC and motor controls
- Students can earn a Certificate of Completion in as few as 10 months, or an A.S. Degree in as few as 14 months.
- Graduates are eligible to take the California General Electrician’s Certification Exam administered by the California Department of Industrial Relations. SJVC pays for each student’s first-time examination fees.
Maintenance TechnicianTruck Driving, Transportation, and Mechanics
San Joaquin Valley College’s Industrial Maintenance Technology (IMT) program is designed to provide fundamental, hands-on training on industrial systems and equipment. Students will study and master the basic principles, applications, concepts and functions of hydraulic systems, bearing and seal types, and power transmission components.
- Programmable logic controllers
- Motor control devices and wiring
- Fluid power systems
- Valves, actuators and bearing applications
Medical AssistingMedicine and Health Care
SJVC’s Medical Assisting classes prepare graduates to work in medical offices and specialty clinics in as few as 9 months. Training helps students learn the skills required to be a valuable member of the healthcare team.
SJVC’s Clinical Medical Assisting program is designed to introduce students to the core skills and competencies needed to work as a medical assistant in California. You will graduate with the knowledge and hands-on skills needed to provide administrative and/or clinical support in healthcare settings such as medical offices, clinics, and hospitals.
- Patient care
- Medical office procedures
- Laboratory skills
- Credential and Professional Certifications
Our Clinical Medical Assisting (CMA) students can earn a certificate of completion in approximately 9 months.
Graduates earn a Certificate of Completion and are eligible to sit for the National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) exam offered by the National Center for Competency Testing.* Students also prepare for and take certification exams within their program courses that include HIPAA and CPR.
Students residing outside of California are encouraged to take a certification examination recognized by their state medical board or an independent certification organization.
*Graduates may qualify for other certifications depending upon location and placement requirements
For more information about the median debt of students who completed the program and other important information, please visit Certificate.
Medical Office AdministrationMedicine and Health Care
Medical secretaries have a range of clerical duties and responsibilities1, including:
- Maintain medical facility records
- Enter patient data into computers
- Process medical billing information and insurance claims
- Schedule patient procedures or appointments
- Transcribe dictation
- Prepare reports or articles for physicians or medical scientists.
- Arrange for patients to be hospitalized
SJVC’s Medical Office Administration program is designed to help students develop the actual skills employers are looking for. An externship component exposes students to hands-on, real-world experience under the direction of a medical office manager or director in an actual healthcare setting. Externships allow students to experience what it’s like to be a medical office administrator and learn practical skills in the types of places they may work in after graduation.
Pharmacy TechnologyMedicine and Health Care
SJVC’s Pharmacy Technology program prepares you to work under the direct supervision of a Registered Pharmacist as part of a team responsible for carrying out doctors’ pharmaceutical orders.
- Pharmacy law and ethics
- Computer data entry
- Pharmacy science & clinical applications
- Prescription processing
Respiratory Care Therapy / TherapistMedicine and Health Care
Respiratory therapists help patients who have breathing problems. On the job, respiratory therapists perform many duties. Upon completion of our respiratory therapist program, the successful student will be able to:
- Perform clinically as a competent advanced-level Respiratory Therapist
- Exemplify critical thinking and judgment skills
- Demonstrate personal and professional behavior consistent with a Respiratory Therapist
- Earn Basic Life Support (BLS), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support Provider (PALS), and Neonatal Resuscitation Provider (NRP) certifications
- Become a Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Characterize the philosophies of lifelong learning and professional growth by participating in continued education and community outreach
- Demonstrate the social skills, professional appearance, attitudes, and behavior that employers expect of all SJVC graduates
- Relate and apply concepts of communication, reasoning, critical analysis, ethical behavior, and appropriate interpersonal interaction to situations in his or her career and personal life.
Veterinary Assisting / Veterinary TechnicianMedicine and Health Care
Our Veterinary Technology program prepares you with the skills needed to help animals when they need it most. SJVC's comprehensive training includes all areas of animal patient care, from lab tests to radiology procedures to surgical assisting. The curriculum also covers communication skills involving pet owner education and counseling for the care of sick animals, in addition to preventive measures.
- Fundamentals of animal nursing
- Diagnostic imaging
- Veterinary office practices
- Laboratory procedures
Business Office AdministrationBusiness, Marketing, and Communication
SJVC’s Business Administration certificate program provides a framework of business knowledge and skills that can adapt to any company’s operation. Students develop into knowledgeable, ethical and technically competent business professionals.
Practical application of business accounting fundamentals
- Principals of basic business math
- Written & digital business communication
- Basic elements of HR, marketing, customer service and social media for business
- Productivity software
San Joaquin Valley College is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), 985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501, (510)748-9001. https://www.wscuc.org/
The WSCUC is an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education.
Financial aid is available to those who qualify.
Visit consumerinfo.sjvc.edu for important information on program outcomes.