Get Information From Local Schools!
Del Mar College
Del Mar College has offered the Truck Driver Training program since May 2002, providing over thousands of students the skills and knowledge to enter the trucking industry. The College complies with all state certifications and licensures and is in compliance with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Truck Driving, Transportation, and Mechanics
Students who attend our program will learn the essentials of all driver requirements based on state and federal rules and regulations. Our program complies with the New Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations for Entry Level Driver Training Standards in which all certified training providers will have to comply with by February 7th 2020.
Subjects covered will include vehicle inspection, airbrakes operation, general knowledge, combination vehicles, hazardous materials, log books/hours of service, defensive/safe driving techniques, distractive driving, accident procedures, extreme driving conditions, coupling/uncoupling, backing skills, cargo securement, progressive shifting, city and highway driving, knowledge of all state traffic laws, registration and licensing laws, and driver/health and wellness.
Students who successfully complete the 200-hour program and show the capability to pass the Commercial Driver’s License exam will be scheduled to take the driving test.
Del Mar College is the only facility in the Coastal bend who is an certified 3RD Party Testing facility for our students to take the DMV commercial driving skills test in essence of obtaining their CDL License. All our students test onsite and avoid long testing schedules at DPS.
CDL Class A Program:
4 week 200 hours – Day Class 7:00 am to 5:30 pm Monday – Saturday
10 week 200 hours – Night Class 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm Monday - Friday
CDL Class B Program:
2 weeks 80 hours – Day Class 7:00 am to 5:30 pm Monday – Friday
Students seeking tuition assistance options to attend the CDL training program will be advised by our staff for the following:
www.fafsa.ed.gov – will cover 75% of the tuition cost of program; student responsible for remaining 25%.
Vehicles and Equipment:
DMC training equipment consists of 12 tractors (customized mobile class rooms with seats and seat belts in sleeper birth), 12 trailers (53’ Vans, 48’ flatbeds and tankers) and 7 tractor/trailer simulators.
Current Job Placement Statistics:
Del Mar College Transportation Training Services graduates go to work! We are very proud of our completion rate of 98% Completion Rate.
Prior to acceptance into the program, all students must complete a detailed application listing the basic hiring criteria of most trucking companies. The application includes demographic information, employment, driving, and criminal history along with medical information. During the interview process of all applicants, the staff looks for indices that may either disqualify an applicant from getting a license or limit his/her employment opportunities.
- Must have a valid TX drivers license
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have more than three moving violations on driving record in past three years
- Must be able to pass a Department of Transportation physical and drug screen. Once registered, the student will be sent for the physical and drug screen. (Pre-Requisite Class)